Tuesday, December 14, 2010

That first go-live moment

Took some time, but it has finally arrived: the first go-live moment in my career. I knew that 70% of the software projects never went live, but why did it have to be me everytime in those projects. Executive decisions, budgeting seemed to take away the whole fun in developing software.

It took 6.5 years to be exact to see this day.  The moment was made possible by a Java Batch application (what do ya know!). A batch that imports files from various back-end applications and maps it onto the new database. Boring as it may sound, it still doesn't take away the celebration. What makes it sweeter was an on-time delivery made possible with a development team consisting of 2 developers. Now, I can finally say: "I've contributed something to the IT consumer world!". Hip Hip Hurrah!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! :)
    I happen to know that you've encountered a lot more than your fair share of bad luck in projects, in case people are prone to thinking that it was your fault ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no such thing as boring software...

    As it happens, I'm gonna be involved in a go-live myself in the next few weeks. The first one since 2003 and I'm giddy as a kid. Even more giddy than normal... :-)

    Congrats, enjoy the moment!

    \Ron

    ReplyDelete